The original idea stemmed from a life altering experience in 1992, when assisting with humanitarian aid distribution in the recently disbanded Yugoslavia, which gave rise to a range of savage conflicts in the then war torn Bosnia.
This experience turned my life upside down. What a contrast to be thrown from the relative safety and humanity of Sussex into the madness of a war zone with all the horror that abounds when all reason is lost.
This exposure proved not to be an isolated incident, hence over the years our support has been to numerous countries experiencing varying unrest & inhumane conditions.
However amidst the backdrop of artic conditions in Bosnia, human misery and upheaval was where the concept for CfC was hatched , a simple idea that would become life changing was born at precisely 3am December 1992.
- The idea was simple enough. Unlike the mindset in developing countries, we here in the UK and Western world have a wasteful approach to our waste and property. We get bored, so even if something works our attitude is simply Bin it and Change it .
- Simialry with Millions of computers also being crushed & binned every year, the notion of computer reuse was simple. Then Suggest companies donate, not crush and thanks to the NHS that is how it started and has continued……
- Things do not happen overnight, as with any seed it takes time to germinate and grow. But encouragement does help, as did my then six year old daughter Clare in 1992 gave her prized Tint Tears doll for a little girl in Bosnia and encouragement to her Dad to stick with it, and the concept of "CfC" crystallised.
- Beginning in the limited confines of a bungalow loft and grew, expanding into sheds, garages, barns and now dedicated workshops.
- 2009 brought a key development for the charity with the relocation of the charities workshop to accessible and further improved rented facilities in the market town of Hailsham, East Sussex and now Eastbourne since Sept 2017. .
- CfC has not been established to promote good works or profit balances. Our standpoint remains of responding to the needs of all enquirers wherever possible. (And not just with Computers or I.T)
"Why did you do it"
I resigned from the NHS in September 1999. Letting go of a good and well paid job and pension to provide full time input as the founder and Trustee for CfC. Also a position without pay or remuneration and as such has also entailed major life changes.
Certainly I am not rich, have no assets and a price was paid for this decision Who gives up a job to earn nothing? Whether home or abroad this response leaves some dumbfounded
Like many, my life has not been without spot or blemish and even today I remain far from perfection. However as a Christian since 1976, saved me from probably premature death and altered my thinking, actions and life. How do you explain Faith, but that is what it is all about ,and believe me the real deal Christians will freely admit they foul up and get it wrong.
I can say, if you are willing and prepared to surrender all and
its an individual choice here, becoming a Christian will take you
on a unexpected life journey of finding acceptance of yourself, and
Personally and also an organisation As such I /We do not discriminate or make judgement, working and supporting all that seek assistance.
What you see on this website represents only a sliver of a developing Vision that has thus far touched many continents and many thousands of lives. It comes from passion, belief, requires time, commitment, life changes and perseverance to stay the course.
It remains humbling and a privilege to have experienced the range of cultures and such diverse issues. From developing Prison workshops in the UK to experiencing the poverty and hardship faced in the African bush or slum areas of Mumbai and generally achieved without mainstream funding.
Thanks are due to the committed and varied expertise afforded by our volunteers which provide the backbone of CfC, in tandem with the continued support of Individuals and Companies through the provision of equipment, financial support and sponsorship make all you see happen.
It is thanks to readers like you that major inroads have been achieved during our history. The frustration remains of viewing global need on a daily occurrence compounded by limited resources and so much to do. If you have made it to the end, Well done and thank you.
Chairman - Trustee
For more information or how to help; please call T: 01323 848588 or drop me an email: Simon